Tuesday, August 02, 2005

My touring style acquires new wings

A diary of most of my bike rides, in approximate sequence.

Sub title: My touring style acquires new wings
Approx distance: 160km
Target destination: Aliyar dam somewhere on Valparai highway.
Companions: None
Highlights: My first ride braving the elements and out in the open.
Pictures Taken: No
Route: Coimbatore- Pollachi- AliyarDam

The bigger picture:

My bike got a royal crown in its body colour and was christened as the Bike-King and it was time to foray into its home territory to ascertain its dominance and mellow other fakes. A semester exam could not stop my flauting of a new touring windscreen, that is to prevent drizzles and breeze getting to the rider.

For nearly 2 years I had been dreaming about hitting Aliyar dam during a rainy season and enjoy the scenery soaked in water and mist. But I dont like the idea of getting fully wet in the rain with water penetrating into every area considered impregnable. Early morning start was the best way to start a ride, preceeded by some workouts and coffee. I studied the gathering of the storm clouds and was upset over the rains due. But decided to go ahead with the trip.
As I filled up petrol, a couple of rain drops landed on my visor. I headed out to the highway only to notice the rains stop. But the dense grey rain clouds beautifully masked the early moring sun rays and lent a pleasant climate for me to enjoy. Infact, I considered turning back as the clouds threatened me, but I cruised on.
A break-fast at Pollachi fueled more desire to complete my ride's mission. The road to Valparai snaked through Indira Gandi Wildlife Sanctuary. The mist offered only limited vision on a narrow road. It only added to my adventure. Perhaps, I may not find enough words in my lifetime to descibe the locale. The smell of wet mud and water droplets from the trees kept me going. Suddenly, I spotted a gigantic capsized boat lying near the road shoulders. This only confirmed the vicinity of the dam. I could see 'Aliyar' written in some unknown font sized 10, in metres. It was written on the grassy slopes of the dam using flowering plants. I could hear the roar of water rushing out of the dam's gigantic steel gates onto the open fields nearby.

I parked my bike and entered the dam complex- I was their first visitor for the day. I could see the majestic dam walls higher than what I expected. I ran towards the innumerable steps that led to top of the dam. I felt breathless as the never ending stairs kept increasing in steepness. But I could not stop for a rest, as my curiosity would have killed me. Instead I slowed down my pace till I hit the top step. Then something unfurled in front of me.
The view will go down as one of the memorable panoramas of my biking adventure. I could see the lake stretch to eternity, only to be bounded by sky-high mountains. I had to turn myself 90 degrees on either side to capture the view, it was so stretched. The lake had several lines of water caused due to circular boats called coracles. The village folk on the opposite bank use these to cross the lake each day to the bus stop near the dam. A round trip on the periphery of the lake would be about 20km. It only stirred up my imagination to own a boat and lazily cruise in the water. I took a deep breathe to acclimatize myself to the suroundings filled with nature's best scents. For a brief instance, the morning sun made a brief appearance through the mountains and lightened up the lake area like a photographer's flash. But I owned no camera and could only store the images in my mind's eye. I sat on the dam wall facing the mountains and lake and started to meditate. All the pains of travel relieved in one moment of bliss.
A quick glance at my watch, only forced me to head towards my bike and home. The ride through the National Park was pictursque as the roads passes through some dense vegetation and plantations. A tea break on the way recharged lost concentration and refreshed me to carry out a non-stop ride to home, books and exams.

1 Comments:

Blogger mental baba said...

I seem to have stumbled upon a zone
Where tyres screech and engines drone.

But I must say it's a pretty little tale
Of perilous journeys o'er hill and vale.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home