Sunday, May 31, 2009

Back with a ride

Approx distance: 500 km
Companions: Yes, my Blackberry :)
Target destination: Somewhere on the banks of Cauvery
Highlights: My come-back ride
Pictures taken: Some
Route: Home- Pondy (175km) - Chidambaram (230km) – Cauvery River (242km) - Neyveli – Tindivanam – Home (485km total).
The road that leads away from it all
The bigger picture:
Patience is a virtue, well almost. I have remained patient for this trip for well over two and half years since my last trip (Sep 2006). Thanks to all the travelogues on discussion forums, I had somehow held out until now. I got my Karizma in mid-April and had been counting the kms until the completion of the first service so that I don’t end up screwing the engine. But a forecast of better weather convinced me to don my ride gear and crank up the engine despite the ongoing Agni-Nakshatra.

I packed my bag on Saturday night and rehearsed its mounting position to ensure that I don’t get any last minute surprises at 4am in the morning. The undocking act on Sunday 4-30am was with surgical precision and I headed towards the East Coast Road in no time when the good ol’ memories came rushing back to me. The rusty tourer(me) was shaking off his blubber accumulated during the 3years of his hibernation.

I hoped to witness a spectacular sunrise along the coastal highway, but the cloud trail of cyclone Aila played spoilsport. I took this as a blessing in disguise and revved the engine to cover as much ground possible under cooler climes. The smell of wet mud ensured that all my senses got the entertainment. A Friday and Saturday night thunderstorm created a great weather for this Sunday ride. I reached Pondy by 8-30am and had breakfast at Le Café, facing the bay. Morning tea with eggs and toast answered my growling belly while the roaring waves ahead seemed like music to my ears. My bike got its fair share of Pondy’s finest yet cheaper petrol.
Morning Breakfast seaside -my helmet

I headed towards Chidambaram, through Cuddalore, and felt these places are merely modernized villages and not towns as we believe. The lack of industries probably contributed to this unsophisticated yet admirable lifestyle. I parked my bike, decided to get some blood circulating and headed to the famed Nataraja Temple. As always, I was impressed by the architecture and the grandeur while I turned a queasy eye away from the devotees who think it is their royal duty to litter every place.
Dipping spot in Natraj temple
The sun had escaped the shackles of Aila's treacherous grasp and was displaying the effects of its radiation on every living creature on this part of the planet. I gleefully gulped an overpriced Bovonto (India’s own cola like erstwhile Thumbs Up) just to spoil the protectionist plans of the governments in the land of the free- with my own 2 cents literally. I wanted this ride to be an Indianized version of my last ride (Sep 2006, Vstrom 650, Mississippi river) and headed towards South to meet Cauvery river. I followed a dirt track along the river for 3kms, parked my bike and walked to the southern bank of the river. I spent about 30min enjoying the breeze despite the tormenting sun and finished my guavas just as the chirping birds circulated over head for an easy snack.My favorite pedicure
I headed back home taking the short but boring road (NH 45) towards Chennai. I had my fair share of nut-case drivers in vehicles of all shapes and sizes. But, my 3year long abstinence had paid off in building a more confident and a patient rider. I rode into my parking lot with lesser body aches and greater authority – perhaps the break wasn’t bad after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like the boots have changed. :) Good to find u've started bikeking again.

More motivation for me to come back to India.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Prathap said...

Great Observation, Randhir.. :)

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home