Friday, August 12, 2005

Straightening hairpins

A diary of most of my bike rides, in approximate sequence.

Sub Title: Straightening hairpins
Approx distance: 170km
Companions: none
Target Destination: Aliyar dam and hairpins on Valparai Ghat road.
Highlights: Pushing the limits of mountain riding
Pics taken: no
Route: Coimbatore- Pollachi- Aliyar Dam- Valparai road

The bigger picture:

Just one night after the Conoor ride, I was bored again. As the time approached noon, the thought of the earlier day's ride forced me to don the helmet and swing a leg over the saddle.This time in the direction opposite to Nilgiris- the Anamalai.

My bike dismissed 50km ride to Pollachi in one clear motion inspite of the mid-day sun. A strong wind was the only dampener as my bike kept swaying from side to side. I took the bull by its horns and subdued it. A tea break later, I headed through the densely forested Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary. I didn't spot anything 'wild', everything was natural and nothing was out of place in such a serene environment- dense evergreen trees, shrubs, mountains in the back drop, water puddles, fresh air, sound of tweeting birds, In short pleasure for the eyes, ears, nose and skin [nothing for the tongue though].

I rode past Aliyar dam and to the manned forest checkpost. The guards opened the checkpost with not a word exchanged. Probably, they could not mistake a helmeted, jacketed and gloved biker for a poacher. That was more like a grand prix GO light. In no time, I was climbing higher and higher through steep mountain ghat road. A board warned me 'No petrol station till Valparai -30km', but I need not worry with a 18litre petrol tank good for 1000km pit-stopless cruise, if not for a better seat comfort and shock absorber.

I took the first of the hairpins at 60kmph and came out a happy rider. My bike had astonishing levels of grip in the dry, far from the days of Ind Suzuki AX100, that I could literally bend down and touch the ground and carry on without even ruffling my hair. Then I moved on from strength to strength as I used the high-revving power delivery of my Pulsar150 to the maximum as I accelerated in the short straights to hit the next hairpin with a good entry speed and try to maintain an equally high exit speed [remember, I am on an uphill climb]. This way I counted upto 13.

I stopped for a break to enjoy the high-risen view from one of the hairpins. The view comprises of the lake created by Aliyar Dam and the surrounding water channels that feed and drain from the dam. I also caught a glimpse of a very unique road sign board that said 'Boulder drop zone- Watch your head'. I instantly ran for my helmet and kissed it and wore it like a knight and kept on my ascent 14, 15...

I could not stop imagining the downhill speeds and thrills I can manage and decided to turn back. It was pure road-scratching by a bike and rider combo which cannot be told apart. For, the 16 hairpins on a downhill ride produced some excellent cornering manoevers on the brink of ecstacy and disaster. With every count down, I exited with a smile on my face. The bike screamed feedback to the rider, who acknowledged by pushing it further. All that was achieved without any fuss or wrong inputs, just gentle and smooth handiwork of the throttle and brakes working in symphony.

When I reached ground zero, I looked back at the mountains and patted my bike on the tank and said 'Let's do it again'. Then headed home with a non-stop 80km ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home