Monday, August 29, 2005

The drag-race with a train

Lack of permission for longer trips meant Sunday morning blasts along the roads [that pass of as highways in India? Not anymore] that lead of Chennai [and its traffic, though better tham most Indian cities].
On Aug 28, I headed towards 'nowhere' on NH-5 for that relaxation that I sorely miss due to the lack of long-distance trips. The start was delayed by some early morning Sunday shopping for my mother. That meant the sun was ready to bathe me in its rays all through the ride [not a pleasant one that].
The NH5 is a part of the ambitious Golden Quadrilaeral project intended to uplift the infrastructure in the country along the lines of China. There were several new bridges being constructed that lead to this road. I must say this isn't a shoddy peice of work, if not for the lorries and trucks being stationed along the shoulders of this road. The entire stretch of road has 'dividers', 4 lanes and service lanes. I even remember seeing 100Kph speed limit in several sections [How many times have you seen this?].
While my odo turned to 100, I decided to turn at the next U-turn and head back home. I stopped for a break under a tree shade [a rare one on this highway] and took a bite of the bun I was carrying. I saw a train at a distance heading towards Chennai and recollected seeing a railway track running parallel to the NH5.
As I started on my ride, I caught up with the train running parallel to the road and decided to maintain a 'synchro' ride with it. The train and my bike were doing 60Kph[I m not a member of that club!], and I could see some passengers [kids, and kids at heart] waving at me. Then the train accelerated to 80kph, and I immediately followed suit and caught up with it. With one eye on the train and one eye on the road, riding was not exactly easy but very satisfying. This drag went on till 90kph and I was not giving up the race. I very much doubt whether anyone would have realised this 'race', but I did. Then as a matter of fact, with the train's handling as though 'on rails' went on to cross 100Kph while some unexpected traffic and diversion forced me to relinquish the lead to the train.
I guess the train with X000Bhp[not a bike group again] won over my humble 12Bhp friend, but not without a fight.

The rest of the way home was not even 10% exciting as that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home